Harper Creep Falls

Harper Creep Falls
Harper Creek Falls

Wednesday, July 3, 2024

The Baths

Before I begin the explanation of my 5th day of vacation, I want to point out a detail I noticed concerning one of the triangulation points on top of Mt. Washington. This is the first benchmark in my many observances that has a date as old as 1851. The main benchmark to which this NO. 3 points has been so overly admired and scratched upon as to communicate almost nothing, but here a few yards away is trig point clearly marked "WASHINGTON", "1851", and "1934" (no doubt the year it was remeasured and verified).


So, the next day we went exploring with my daughter's family. Only 1.2 miles of walking in among goodly sized white pines and hemlocks, we passed the time talking. You could already tell by the parking lot and the people on the trail that this was a popular spot. Before we got into the water, I took this picture of my two grandchildren.


The water was cold enough that we didn't really want to swim, wading was enough.


There may well have been over 200 people in these pools, but since they stretched perhaps 1/4 mile up the creek, it did not seem so crowded. I am sure that it has quite a different character in high water.


There were a few man-made ruins along the way. A sign told the history of gristmill ponds followed by a tourist spot adorned with lodge, cabins, and visitors, and finally a small hydroelectric plant. Today, it is simply the local swimming hole that tourists swarm to in the summer.


A fun place to explore and play






At the end of the pools was a shady, shallow, solitary pool. I do so love to explore a place where there is something unique around every corner, and do it with someone, and spend some time with family, and especially grandchildren.


I was amazed at how much the woods here at low elevation look like woods at high elevation in Tennessee.


Time to dry off and shoe up for the return walk.


We also went to Cathedral Ledge, a 500' tall cliff overlooking the area near Conway, NH, just east of Mt. Washington.


I had meant to take an easy day, but after checking weather, I realized that I needed to get to Baxter State Park and be ready to hike Mt. Katahdin the next day in order to beat the weather. On the way out of Conway I saw this covered bridge built in 1890.


I arrived at Baxter S. P. at about 7:30 in the evening and had my tent set up after 8:30 (It was a solid hour drive on gravel roads to the campsite.). I saw several Snowshoe Rabbits at dusk. They are certainly larger than Cottontails but not quite so lanky as Jack Rabbits.


Being a few days before Summer Solstice, the sun did not go down until after 9:00, and twilight lasted until 10:00.


The campsites are not overused as the grass was not worn down.


The late evening glow on the evergreens on the banks of Nasowadnehunk Creek was a peaceful introduction to the wilderness of Baxter State Park where RV's and pets are not welcome and there is no potable water or electric hook-ups, and the roads are all gravel so that nearest store is 1 1/2 hours' drive away.


I said good night to the Moon and bedded down for a short snooze before taking on Katahdin. And all of this took place in one day. I am thankful to God for the adventure and the protection in the midst of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment