Harper Creep Falls

Harper Creep Falls
Harper Creek Falls

Saturday, July 2, 2022

Cardin Place

It once was a mountain farm. One of the former fields is now a wooded shelf on the south mountain slope of TVA land at Wilbur Lake. It must have been hard making living off of this land, but I do know that the yard is fertile because I grew gardens there for several years.


The barn looks small from the road, but it had two stalls, a loft, and a corn crib attached on the side.


The neighbor rebuilt the front porch about 30 years back. It is still holding up well. That was a screen door when we lived there.


The front yard underbrush has been cleared further down into the woods and an opening made to see the lake. I planted the Eastern White Pine just to the right of center. It was not as tall as me when I planted it there.


Ah, the smokehouse, a shed and workshop and artifact of a past life. My 32 gallon garbage cans used to sit there beside it. One evening, my oldest son came out that back door to right to meet up with a raccoon as big around as the top of one of those can crawling up out of it. He was as scared of raccoons as bears.


Calas and Tiger Lilies contrast the old wood well.


And a very nice visitor alighted, too.


The outhouse is still there, though the last time I looked inside, a groundhog likely had nearly collapsed it.


The barn looks both more noble and more worn from this vantage point. I replaced that near post on the overhang. Black Locust holds up well.


The memories of 29 plus years ago flooded my mind as I saw how little had changed. I felt as though we could move back in and take up where we left off. Oh, life has changed and is so much more complicated. I am thankful for the many years God has guided and used us for His purposes. If our grandchildren had a desire to hear them, we have a few stories.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment