Harper Creep Falls

Harper Creep Falls
Harper Creek Falls

Monday, September 9, 2024

Pinnacle Mountain Fire Tower

Morning light is so good for pictures. We arrived at about 8 AM


Decaying an old pine log with style and beauty.


Given the lack of vascular structure of the so-called upper plant life, how does the fungus differentiate between body and marginal colors?


I could not find what I deemed to be a reliable history of this tower. Obviously, the deck, steps, and roof had been replaced, but the broadness of the footprint and gauge of angle iron suggests to me that this was once a much taller than 40-foot tower. Anyone know?


The day was summer hazy, but the 360-degree view from Pinnacle Mountain was still impressive. I feel certain that we were seeing Mt. Mitchell, NC, but I imagine you could also see VA and KY on a clear day.


View towards Unicoi and Erwin, TN


View along Buffalo Mountain in the direction of Johnson City, TN


The trail that we walked was an easily graded 5.0 miles. I would have liked to come up the powerline clearing, since the parking lot was pretty much below it.


The definite joy of the hike was getting to know two new young guys and spending a half-day with my hiking partner. I so enjoy solid conversation about life and spiritual things with brothers in Christ.



















No comments:

Post a Comment