Harper Creep Falls

Harper Creep Falls
Harper Creek Falls

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Cabin up the Crick

A cabin near water is a bit hard to come by, so you have to take the advantages with the disadvantages. In this case, the downside is close to the road. That's OK since the inside space is cozy, and the crick is near at hand.


I am sure appreciative to my niece and nephew for allowing us to stay here relatively near the beginning of our hike. It allowed us to get an early start. Speaking of which, I arrived before my daughter and grandson, so I looked around a bit.


Actually, it is more than a crick. It is the Little River near Townsend, TN. I slept quite well that night with the door open allowing in the cool air and tumbling water sound.


They even had two welcoming flower boxes near the front door.


The other two hikers arrived, and little man wanted to play in and around the water.


Mom got in on the act and waded with him out to a rock. In the evening air, the water was a bit too cool for me.


I found many curious rocks along the water's edge. I was especially aware of the mixture of what I would call Western North Carolina rocks and East Tennessee rocks. Now the very statement of this idea is a bit of an exaggeration but hear me out. Most of the rocks of WNC are metamorphosed igneous rocks. The Great Valley of ET is limestone and in places overlaid by sandstone, that is, mostly sedimentary. Though in ET, this property and river are in the transition zone between the rock types. So, the river has washed down many WNC rocks from the mountains above. Scattered among them are limestone, dolomite, and sandstone of ET.
I found one rock most curious. In the picture you will conclude that it is simply a piece of burnt wood, but if you had seen and touched the reverse side of it you would have seen that it was iron heavy rock. The black layer seen has grain like a tree. I think that it may be petrified wood.


Going out to my car later, I spied a moth that reminded me of Ewoks on Star Wars.


We were going to the car because I had talked my daughter into a 1/2-mile drive to a location I had noticed on the way. I had not been there in many years, perhaps 35 or so. It is the camp where my wife and I were married over 41 years ago. She had worked there as a counselor, and we requested to be wed in the dining hall. 


In fact, it occurred right beside this fireplace. My best man and I arrived on the December morning that had been in the low 20's and started a huge fire along with setting up chairs and other things. The fireplace was the only heat then, but we managed to get the space actually a bit too warm. My older brother who was a preacher for many years resided over the ceremony.


The Hall has been added onto and renovated, but the old bell that my father rang during our recessional is still standing.


Making new memories and cherishing old ones. God was, is, and will be good to us who belong to Him, and that is why life is good.




No comments:

Post a Comment