Harper Creep Falls

Harper Creep Falls
Harper Creek Falls

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Rainbow Falls Ascent

From the sign you can see that the ascent of Mt. Leconte by the Rainbow Falls Trail is 6.6 miles. The trail is not steep to the falls at 2.7 miles, but it makes up for it soon afterwards. The 0.1 mile mark is where the returning Trillium Gap Trail comes from its parking lot and trailhead over 2 miles away. If you want to see pictures from that part of the trip, then stay tuned.

When you see a creek dropping this quickly, you know that it won't be a gentle trail rise. It does make a nice sound and support a lush forest. The top of the ridge is temperate rainforest, so it has to go somewhere.


You may see by the wideness and wear of the path and the abundance of erosion barriers that this is a very well-traveled trail. On weekends I would advise avoiding this trail which is one of the most popular in the park. On this early weekday morning in late May we passed perhaps 6 to 8 people.


She was moving too fast in the dim understory for a thoroughly focused view, but you know living in a National Park makes them less skittish.


Little Man did walk now and then for short distances but 16 some odd miles was obviously too much. When he did walk, his mother discovered that he walked further without complaint when she told him a story. As she said, she is good at remembering stories, even quoting several lengthy poems like Big Red Barn by Margaret Wise Brown , but she is not so good at making them up. I told two original stories about the Crawdad Brothers, but they were only for little ears.


Little microbiomes draw the attention as sources of good still life photos. Here we have several tree saplings, at least Red Maple and American Chestnut, with a blooming Galax, tree base and roots, various herbaceous varieties, satin brown mushrooms, and filled in with lush moss.


As I scanned the forest floor, I realized the Galax were all abloom.


Really! and the green carpet in the open, old growth forest is so pleasant.


Snazzy snail with reddish brown shell and indigo bod. 


This is the most perfect pile of Frasier Magnolia leaves, early in the year without damage, lively green with good proportions.


Can you imagine the amount of water and hydraulic power involved in depositing these boulders, not to mention the impetus to get this old man this far up the trail?


I like trees but I am not a tree hugger. My daughter asked me to strike this pose for an in-law (MS, this is for you.) who admits to being one. On the other hand, I do fondly admire God's creation, the tree, and I was rather amazed at this live, medium-large Hemlock specimen in a forest full of dead hulks already taken by the Hemlock Wooly Adelgid.


Whether for reasons of already being attacked or more mundane wind or age-related damage, it is struggling.


The Christmas Fern (Polystichum acrostichoides) and Hobblebush (Hobblebush (Viburnum lantanoides) – Wild Seed Project) framed by a small thickly grown ground cover is so warm and substantial and peaceful.


The Jack in the Pulpit is demure and shy of being photographed. The Stinging Nettle at top right has no such modesty, seeking whom it might promote to itch.


Cascades are nice, but I confess to preferring real live freefall waterfalls of any size.


It is actually easier and more comfortable on the pack animals' backs, as we jokingly fancied ourselves, to carry the boy straight above the center of gravity. It does take a slight more concentration on his part and ours to do it for long.


Rainbow Falls and the easy 2.7 miles done.


At 80 feet and always with good flow, Rainbow Falls is one of the more impressive falls in the East. I spoke with an older gentleman as we viewed it who said that he had been there many times. I conferred that I had been there quite a few times, as well. Then I asked him if he had ever seen it as a column of ice. He had not. I thought a moment and said, "I did in 1978,*" My daughter rolled her eyes as she is want to do and retorted, "That was a minute."


Stretching legs for the steeper ascent. I think someone left their Panama Jack Hat.


"They turned me into a Newt, but I got better."


I have long wondered what to call these large-leafed plants. I think that I discovered its name (Don't laugh if I am wrong, LF.) I think that it is Carolina Tassel-rue or Carolina Bugbane (Trautvetteria caroliniensis). It certainly likes moist environments.


Doghobble (Leucothoe fontanesiana) blooms for a short time and I have not seen it so profuse before.


A bit early to bloom in the mountains, but Rhododendron doesn't watch calendars.


The Gatlinburg Fire of 2016 ran all the way up several of the mountains, including Mt. LeConte. It caused erosion, new growth, death of many trees, and nice views.


It still looks weird even though I have seen it numerous times now.


I had to pick it up, turn it over, and scratch it. Yep, it was a real gravel, almost perfectly rectangular.


Cool effect but poor picture of my daughter mounting the stone steps.


Sweet White Trillium (Trillium simile)


Streams have many bubbling sounds at once and frequently dissolve into a white noise, but if you listen to a single rivulet and you may hear curious claps and pops and gurgles.


Mountain Boomers (Tamiascius hudsonicus) move so fast that I can never get a good picture with my slow-shuttered phone camera. I am going to get a good digital SLR one of these days.


A mini-hobby that began at Macho Picchu is offering to take portraits for single, couples, and families. Most people are appreciative and offer to return the favor. I think the person did quite well, don't you?


My daughter and grandson are so diminutive on Cliff Top of Mt. LeConte. The view, the rest, the sense of accomplishment, the small talk, it was all a joy to have arrived.


I can't help but wonder what micro- environments lurk on these broken ledges, perhaps even unknown species of windblown and exposed flora and fauna. The huge and minute both come to my mind in this scenario.


At 6643', Clingmans Dome is exactly 50' taller than Mt. LeConte. My camera could not resolve the far flung tower but my lens corrected eyes could.


Blooming Heath


An almost good picture of the profuse bloom


I don't know the most foreground left mountain, but I feel sure that the intermediate one is Mt. Collins whereupon sits a trail shelter. Behind it is Clingmans Dome.


I will not keep silent about my appreciation to God for the strength, desire, ability and training to observe, and opportunity to still roam these mountains. What He has made is beautiful, inspiring, peace-inducing and glorifies Him as does His graciousness to allow me and my younger generations to enjoy it. I am thankful to Him.

*That could have been 1979.














No comments:

Post a Comment